Saturday, October 18, 2008

This is for Ashley.




Narwhals.
Obviously did not become extinct with the dinosaurs. Unless the dinosaurs had cameras to document this.





It is a creature rarely found south of latitude 70°N. (Please allow me to get out my compass.)

The narwhal was one of the many species originally described by Linnaeus in his Systema Naturae.[3] This is based on the Old Norse word nár, meaning "corpse", in reference to the animal's pigmentation. In some parts of the world, the Narwhal is colloquially referred to as the Moon Whale or the Polar Whale. In Inuit language the narwhal is named qilalugaq.[4] ( more on Narwhals .. The unicorn of the ocean. )

Qilalugaq is one of those words I don't think I'll ever be able to pronounce properly.
Along with;

Swavorkian ( Sure, it looks easy. Try saying it WITHOUT reading it. Maybe I'm dumb, as in tongue tied. )

Sauvignon Blanc ( I've got the BLANC down pat. Don't worry. )

Sarcoptic Mange ( ScarpocticMangey, ScoreopticMenge... You name it. )

.... Seems to me it's those tricky "S" words that always cause a problem when it comes to my mouth and brain working together.



I can spell supercalifragilisticexpialidocious though. Without looking it up.
AND, I can pronounce NUCLEAR like none other, SARAH PALIN. Eat it.

2 comments:

Adam Sacco said...

"It is a creature rarely found south of latitude 70°N. (Please allow me to get out my compass.)"

actually in navigation a compass wont tell you where 70N is. you would have to look on a map. in the case of this whale it stays above the likes of iceland, canada, and alazka.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-maps/image/world-lat-long.jpg

c. said...

Well thank you smarty pants.