Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Next episode.

Well I'm not complaining.

I happened to be at a bar last night for the tail end of the election. I had no idea it was going to be like it was. People were bawling their eyes out! Granted, Obama gets two gold stars for that speech. I've never heard something so eloquently put. He had my attention from start to finish and I was nothing short of impressed. But man, I'm just glad I was out otherwise I would not have believed it. Nor would it have had the amount of impact that it did.

"History has been made."

This isn't just history, this is mostly the future. Mark November 4th, 2008 in the record books for the United States for sure, but this was a long time coming. He's black, so what? I'm just glad to have someone take full control. I'm glad that he didn't mispronounce a word, say anything off-colored, or lose me in babble of politics.

In highschool I did a monologue for a class. I chose "Better Angels" from American History X;

It's 5:40 am and in about one minute I'm going to watch the sun come up. I don't know if I've ever done that. Anyway, we're going to try to pick things up, and start over. It won't be easy but we're all together again. And I feel good. I'm not sure if this paper is what you wanted, if I hit the social significance or whatever you're looking for. But, for what it's worth, thanks a lot.
So I guess this is where I tell you what I learned. My conclusion, right? Well, my conclusion is: hate is baggage. Life's too short to be pissed off all the time. It's just not worth it. Derek says it's always good to end a paper with a quote. Says someone else has already said it best so if you can't top it, steal from them and go out strong. So I picked a guy I thought you'd like. "We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic cords of memory will swell when again touched, as they surely will be, by the better angels of our nature."



That quote coming from Abraham Lincolon;

"We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature."


No denying, that is good stuff. And if you picked up on it, Obama dropped part of that quote himself. Insanely smart man.

It's 2008.
And we have an African American President.


"I hope he changes the National Anthem to 'Gin and Juice.'"
Laid back!

No comments: